top of page

Red Bulls Fall Short In Philadelphia

© Eric Hartline-USA TODAY Sports

The New York Red Bulls lost their first away match of the season Tuesday night with a 1-0 defeat to the Philadelphia Union. The “Turmoil on the Turnpike” was a highly contentious battle but Kacper Przybylko’s 31st minute goal was enough to seal the 3 points for Philadelphia.

Przybylko’s goal was set up from a pinpoint cross from Raymon Gaddis. Gaddis caught Bulls defender Aaron Long sleeping and delivered a perfect cross to find the Polish forward’s left foot. Przybylko had a chance to make it 2-0 just before halftime. Though this time, the left footed effort was saved in the center of goal by keeper Ryan Meara.

New York responded with all out attack and had a couple great chances to level the match right before half. The closest being Tim Parker’s first half stoppage time header. Union keeper Andre Blake was on the opposite side of the net but goal scorer Przybylko stepped in and cleared it off the line.

Blake had three saves on the night. His best being against Tom Barlow’s right footed blast in the 60th minute. The attempt was set up by Daniel Royer, who placed the ball perfectly in the path of a streaking Barlow. Barlow hit it straight at Blake, who stood tall and deflected the ball away from net.

Red Bulls keeper Ryan Meara also had a few nice saves. Philadelphia’s Sergio Santos had an uncontested shot from just behind the penalty spot in the 67th, which was kept out of goal by a diving Meara.

The Red Bulls, however, could not find the equalizer and leave Philadelphia with missed opportunities and unanswered questions. They will have to regroup quickly as they hit the road again for a Saturday showdown with the New England Revolution. Their second away game in a row, they are looking to rebound to keep pace with conference leaders Toronto FC and the Columbus Crew.


Recent Posts

See All


  • Facebook Social Icon
  • Twitter
  • Instagram
  • YouTube
  • Flickr Social Icon
bottom of page